Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Steering Squeek
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

FlatBlackXJ

After try-outs today we went to A&W/KFC to get a bite to eat. When we were leaving my steering box started making a terrible skueeking noise. I got out to look at it and had my wife move the wheel while I was looking at it is definatly coming from the steering box. I haven't had a chance to give the uni-body a good look over yet but it does have a MORE steering brace so I don't think it is that. My power steering still has fluid and I could still drive it home fine but at slow speeds/parking it squeeks but over 5-10mph no noise. Anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks.

Tyler-

TJVigilante

PS Pump not getting it enough pressure at idle?
I don't know but I do have a pump and box if you end up needing something. The box leaks but works in a pinch.

FlatBlackXJ

The pump not getting enough pressure would be caused by what though? That is probably what it is because when I was at Beaver I noticed I had to give it a little gas to make it easier to turn when sittign still. Any simple fix or only pricey ones?
A new stock style pump will probably fix it. My stock one on the ZJ lasted 194K before it finally quit allowing me to steer. A new pump and it was one you could steer with your pinky.

FlatBlackXJ

Anybody heard anything about durango steering pumps? I've been looking around on NAXJA.org and they say it is a pain to do but the pump it stronger and lets you get a tighter turning radii. Anybody heard anything about this or had first had experience?

akdsmer

I had this problem on my ZJ, my box was loose. And I don't mean that the bolts were hanging out of it, they were pretty tight. I removed the pump, cleaned the surfaces and reinstalled and torqued it down properly (real tight) and the squeak went away.

TJVigilante

I think you're referring to the Durango Steering Box...not the pump. I don't think a Durango pump would bolt onto the 4.0.

You'll need to find the right one, www.jeeps-offroad.com has a writeup in their tech section: http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/forum.php?page=durango-ps

FlatBlackXJ

Awesome thanks man, thats what I was thinking but said the wrong one.