Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering Squeek
After try-outs today we went to A&W/KFC to get a bite to eat. When we were leaving my steering box started making a terrible skueeking noise. I got out to look at it and had my wife move the wheel while I was looking at it is definatly coming from the steering box. I haven't had a chance to give the uni-body a good look over yet but it does have a MORE steering brace so I don't think it is that. My power steering still has fluid and I could still drive it home fine but at slow speeds/parking it squeeks but over 5-10mph no noise. Anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks.

Tyler-
PS Pump not getting it enough pressure at idle?
I don't know but I do have a pump and box if you end up needing something. The box leaks but works in a pinch.
The pump not getting enough pressure would be caused by what though? That is probably what it is because when I was at Beaver I noticed I had to give it a little gas to make it easier to turn when sittign still. Any simple fix or only pricey ones?
A new stock style pump will probably fix it. My stock one on the ZJ lasted 194K before it finally quit allowing me to steer. A new pump and it was one you could steer with your pinky.
Anybody heard anything about durango steering pumps? I've been looking around on NAXJA.org and they say it is a pain to do but the pump it stronger and lets you get a tighter turning radii. Anybody heard anything about this or had first had experience?
I had this problem on my ZJ, my box was loose. And I don't mean that the bolts were hanging out of it, they were pretty tight. I removed the pump, cleaned the surfaces and reinstalled and torqued it down properly (real tight) and the squeak went away.
I think you're referring to the Durango Steering Box...not the pump. I don't think a Durango pump would bolt onto the 4.0.

You'll need to find the right one, www.jeeps-offroad.com has a writeup in their tech section: http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/forum.php?page=durango-ps
Awesome thanks man, thats what I was thinking but said the wrong one.