Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
knik multi use rec area mat-su meeting
Last night we had a emergency meeting at Matsu -central safety building ..

The friends of the matsu had tried to push a new requirement of a unknown safety buffer zone around the butte residents and streams making it a nightmare just to use the area ..

but the bill they tried to push thru was very vague with no limits or specific information ..wich worked in our favor .

alot of the comments from the folks who live on the butte dont want or need such a buffer zone .. just a very small select few who dont like the noise of the atv's and race track ..wich had came out at the board meeting ..

wich moose our old 2 broke to play president ..had said you moved innext door to a race track knowing it was a race track ..lol could have heard the snarls ...lol

but i also stood up and spoke on behalf of the offroad community ..after seeing some of the Friends of The Mat-su pass off picture of the burnt hauls of cars and the illegal shooting ..

and told them "thats one side of the story now let me tell you the other half .." and had told them about our yearly cleanups and how we off roaders and other OHV clubs ,tow the hauls up to the parking are for pick up and how our kids help pick up the trash in the area every spring and how this was a community event and how the junk yards and even the borough donates trash bags for the effort ..

one lady on the assembly asked you have to do this every year ? to wich i later replied yes just like you do evrey spring along the highway ..

one had asked about the crossing of the salmon spawning areas ?
i had told them .."thats already illegal mam ..if they do it.. punish them .

we dont need more red tape we need inforcement of the laws already on the books ".. assembly woman asked .." then it was how are we going to pay for it ? " to wich i replied " our taxes last i looked it hasnt dropped any in the last 7 years " they didnt say a word ..
it was brought up earlier about stickers on all atvs to help pay for the enforcement .. but it was also brought to their attention by alot of us is there is no legal ear marking in Alaska .. so there is no promise by the state that if we as a offroad community pay 1 million dollars for these stickers that the 1 mil will go for enforcement .. and that if this was a multi use area we want to see a sticker on the back of every horse as well .. not just punish the motorized community ..

but the good news in this is we won this small fight like 7-2 but next time they will be alot more orginized and be tougher to beat .. problem was and was brought up is on the mat-su assembly is 2 active friends of the mat-su greenies and keep trying to push this thru .. they started this this week and was going to vote on it last night before the public could even get to read and fight it ...

i will link the bill from the 4x4 network ...

Messages In This Thread
knik multi use rec area mat-su meeting - by Fix_It - 30 Apr 08, 10:11 am