Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding the right truck or build it
Bought an '87 1/2 ton yesterday in Wasilla, have to get it I/M'ed and registered tomorrow. Then drive it home Saturday.
TwinKings, just a heads up, if you are going to make it strictly a trail rig you can register it without emissions and sign an afidavit(spelt wrong but sound it out) saying you wont drive it on puvlic roads, doing that would eliminate insurance and IM. Just a heads up and if you wanted to drive it on the roads just get a summer tag and tow it to wheelin spots in the winter. 1April-1Nov I believe is what the exsempt tag is good for.
1 April to 31 October.

But you can't even 'wheel it in the winter if it's within the Fairbanks North Star Borough or the Municipality of Anchorage. You can tow it elsewhere to 'wheel though.

All that is kind of a moot point anyway...You should have no problems getting a half ton Chevy emissions tested, even if you were to put in a 454 (assuming it's the fuel injected version).
FlatBlackXJ Wrote:TwinKings, just a heads up, if you are going to make it strictly a trail rig you can register it without emissions and sign an afidavit(spelt wrong but sound it out) saying you wont drive it on puvlic roads, doing that would eliminate insurance and IM. Just a heads up and if you wanted to drive it on the roads just get a summer tag and tow it to wheelin spots in the winter. 1April-1Nov I believe is what the exsempt tag is good for.

If he wants to wheel it, he needs insurance. It's a club requirement.
Twin_Kings Wrote:Bought an '87 1/2 ton yesterday in Wasilla, have to get it I/M'ed and registered tomorrow. Then drive it home Saturday.

Congrats. Shed some light on the build plans.

And obviously...

:worthless:
Here's some pictures.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/cad...hevy-4.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/cad...hevy-3.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/cad...hevy-2.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/cad...hevy-1.jpg

Mechanically the truck is sound. It drove 300 miles from Wasilla without a problem. Tranny shifts smooth and engine burns clean (I/M to prove it). I was a little worried about driving back from Wasilla, but everything turned out fine. Got two sets of wheels and tires in the deal, but they're all steel wheels and 235/75/15 tires.

It came with a 7.5' Western snow plow which will be coming off. Running boards will also come off. The little round tie down hooks on the sides of the bed will come off also. Pull dents on bed and tail gate. Replace driver's and passenger's side lower cab corners and driver's door sill (rusted out). Then paint. I was thinking red and white two-tone, but my son is suggesting black. Black is too hard to keep clean.

More immediate, it get a wind shield Monday. Then I got to decide on lift, wheels, and tires. Gotta see what I'm doing with my F-350 and VW Jetta before I can see how much money I can tie up in this.

If a budget build, I may keep the 10 bolt diffs and go with either a 33" or 35" tires and 4" lift. Otherwise I'll trade out for 1-ton running gear, 6" lift and go 37" or bigger.
I forgot how much a PITA dual tanks are when they are on different sides of the truck. For around town driving, I'm only going to use the driver's side tank.
Looks real good, C.A.

I always liked those red/white chevys. There's a sweet blue/white one in town.

I dont' think I would have made it out of wasilla withthose running boards!
4x4_MMMH_4x4 Wrote:you dont want an 87, their TBI's were garbage... only reason im installing one is to gain IM worthyness

Your kidding right? The TBI is a sturdy system that will give you very little problems (unless you cam it).
I agree the TBI from those years was easy to work with and very reliable, but that's just my opinion.
ahh will they even IM with a cam in them, or no?
How about converting 2WD to 4WD?

I found a clean 1 ton with the 454 I want. Would I just have to add the front axle, transfer case, and drivelines? I know I'd have to cut a hole for the transfer case in the cab. How about the tranny? Can a 2WD auto tranny be adapted to the transfer case or would I have to get a new tranny also?

Springs aren't an issue since I'll be getting new springs with a lift kit.
Kevin's the expert, but the front crossmember might be the tricky part. It's integrated into the suspension of the 2wd trucks. I think you have to build a new crossmember under the engine if you convert it to 4wd.

As for the transmission, you could use a divorced transfer case. There were divorced 205s, and I think Kevin has one.
Twin_Kings Wrote:How about converting 2WD to 4WD?

I found a clean 1 ton with the 454 I want. Would I just have to add the front axle, transfer case, and drivelines? I know I'd have to cut a hole for the transfer case in the cab. How about the tranny? Can a 2WD auto tranny be adapted to the transfer case or would I have to get a new tranny also?

Springs aren't an issue since I'll be getting new springs with a lift kit.

What year are we talking here? Your 2wd trans has a different output shaft than a 4wd trans, so a t-case won't bolt up unless you change the output shaft.

Advent Wrote:Kevin's the expert, but the front crossmember might be the tricky part. It's integrated into the suspension of the 2wd trucks. I think you have to build a new crossmember under the engine if you convert it to 4wd.

As for the transmission, you could use a divorced transfer case. There were divorced 205s, and I think Kevin has one.

The basic frames were essentially the same, with different bracketry for 2wd, 4wd. Kyle may be correct in the crossmember, but it may be able to stay if you will be using front leaf springs and a solid axle. You'd just need to find a donor truck (and I happen to know where a couple might be sitting!) for the spring hangers and bracketry. If the crossmember would need changed I have that, too.

You'll need a different trans or a divorced case - and yes I have a divorced 205.
My question is, what tranny? I'd hope they put the 400 behind a 454. If so, go with a divorced t-case. You'll need a longer front driveshaft but the angle will be better. If it is a 350 trans I'd suggest finding a married 400/205 to put in it. You'll need a t-case mount/cradle for the divorced t-case. The married units you may need a different crossmember but may not. May only need to re-drill frame holes for your current set-up.

I could estimate more what needs done if I could look at it. Let me know.
It's a 1985 model, so yes it will be solid axle and leaf spring conversion. I haven't seen it yet in person. I'm going to have my friend look at it for me since it's out of town. Kind of scary buying something you haven't seen in person. My mistake in the earlier post, it may only be a C20. I'm going to call tomorrow and verify. Maybe I'll get the VIN to determine trans and axle codes.

I assume it's a TH400. Everything on the truck looks factory from the pictures I've seen. Only 64,000 miles on the the truck.
Did a little more research on the web. http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/2wdto4wd.html Sounds like it may be more work than I need right now to convert a 2WD to 4WD. The truck I was looking at was $3000. I bet if I keep looking around, I can find a 4x4 truck in good shape for not much more.
4x4_MMMH_4x4 Wrote:ahh will they even IM with a cam in them, or no?

If you want to run a tailpipe test, it will need one yes.
akdsmer Wrote:If you want to run a tailpipe test, it will need one yes.

:lol:
"V-10 in the works" :confused:
V-10 is the model of the 1987. This is the only year of the model. Like the K-10 and C-10 models before it. I know, it sounds kind of goofy.
wrd.
The R/V series went through 1991.

Edit: Ooh, only year of the half-ton. Nevermind.
the V-10 was a Ford Engine. Why would he put a Ford V-10 in when he has a 454??? :troutslap:

(Yes, I do know. :doh: It was a joke! Big Grin )
Woohoo,

Just got a '75 K20 for free Big Grin . Mostly wanted it for the running gear, but the owner said I can get it running no problem. He said the bed may be in rough shape, but the cab is OK with a little rust on the lower door sills. I'll take a look at it and decide whether to use the running gear for my '87 1/2 ton or fix it up.

Here's the goods, 327 engine ran when he parked it (replaced a previous 350), auto tranny (don't know if it's TH350 or TH400), NP203 (bad shape, but has a spare NP203 that works). It's a 14 bolt rear, but he wasn't sure about the front. Has 4.11 gears Smile so probably work pretty good with bigger tires.

I won't be able to tow it home for 3 weeks, but gets my mind thinking of the possibilites.
pm me a price for that 327!!! that is, if you dont plan on using it...