Poll: Which one first?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DIY 4X Beadlocks
35.00%
7 35.00%
Front Lockright
65.00%
13 65.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions...Beadlocks, Lockright
As the title states, I would like some opinions from you all.

With my upcoming B-Day(4 Feb) I'm going to have a couple hundred bucks to play with for the truck. I'm leaning back and forth between buying some Beadlocks or a Lockright for my front Dana 60, both would be around the same price with shipping. Either way whatever one I don't buy now I will be getting this spring or summer for sure, but I'll be running some trails for sure before I can get the other of the two. My main concern with going with Beadlocks is that I'm running a 16.5" rim which has no locking bead on the rim, hence I can't really air down to much with out risking blowing a bead. On the other side I would really like to lock the front end, although I'm sure with the rear locked and 40" Boggers I can get myself into plenty of trouble as is....just having a hard time deciding between the two, thoughts???

Sorry so long ;D
I like traction, so I'd do the locker. I would buy one of those for my ZJ, but don't like the road manners when I run the T-case in AWD mode. So, I'm looking for a used selectable locker for a good price.
I say go with the beadlocks. with the rear locker you already have traction, airing down would probably make a greater difference in traction and ride quality.
Off subject a little. Dude your birthday is the same as my Dad's and Alice Coopers. I know you really don't care, but I thought it was cool. Smile
beadlocks......... bewware Rob siad they were a pain in the rump to put on
Lock 'er up before the bead locks.
I voted for locke.r..

I say beadlocks. You have one locker now. As you said it is hard to air down too much with your wheels without having to worry about blowing a bead.
All good points, still a tough desicion with the pros and cons being so close.....

michaeljr5 Wrote:Off subject a little.  Dude your birthday is the same as my Dad's and Alice Coopers.  I know you really don't care, but I thought it was cool.  Smile

Hey that is cool, I knew about Alice Cooper...and Lawerence Taylor, but that's cool it's your dad's too!!
This not posting error is getting ridiculous...

anyway, like I said earlier, under the current circumstances, I vote for the locker. Wait till you have the money to get double locks, or Staun beadlocks (highly recommend the stauns). Don't even bother with locks on the outer bead with 16.5"s. you'll only be able to air down a couple more pounds than without 'em. Get the Stauns.

Go for the locker, lockright, good bang for the buck...
mousee Wrote:This not posting error is getting ridiculous...

anyway, like I said earlier, under the current circumstances, I vote for the locker. Wait till you have the money to get double locks, or Staun beadlocks (highly recommend the stauns). Don't even bother with locks on the outer bead with 16.5"s. you'll only be able to air down a couple more pounds than without 'em. Get the Stauns.

Go for the locker, lockright, good bang for the buck...

I agree with locker first.  I also agree with 16.5s being a waste of a set of outer locks...but if you did inners AND outers...
I voted locker. I'd prefer traction..
Lock and load ;D
Ryan, last I heard you didn't have 4wd. I assume that's all taken care of? If not, lock that sucker up while you're doing the gears.
Have you even aired down at all yet with the 16.5s? If not, you gotsta at leats try it once. You may just surprise yourself!
Go with the locker for the front axle first. With 40" boggers, you won't really have to too much with that many tread lugs and a V8 turning them.

Yes, the beadlocks like mine are a PITA to mount and keep from leaking. Go with what Mousee said and get some Stauns through him. Much better beadlocks (inner and outer) and won't add a ton of weight (like my beadlocks) to your unsprung weight.....those 40s are doing enough of that for you.

That aside, happy early brithday!!
Rob thanks for the b-day wish, and happy b-day to you as well!!! Geoff, no I still don't have 4wd. I'll I need to do is get this R&P installed in my 14 bolt and I'm good to go, still waiting to hear from Kevin when were going to do this...we are going to be doing mine and Forrest's at the same time. I haven't tried airing down yet, but will give it a whirl. One thing I do know is the max PSI for the 40" Bogger is only 25 PSI!! Anyway thanks for all the thoughts and opinions, I've been leaning towards the LockRight...but after this poll it's a shoe in, that's what I'll be ordering here in a week or so. Thanks again to all!
UPDATE:

Well after much debate I ended up deciding to go with a LockRight for the front 60, ordered it up from Randy's on Friday and should be here this week. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and poll, your opinions REALLY helped.

Locked front and rear on 18x39.5 Boggers, man I can't wait to lay waste to some trails!!Cool
lock it, without a doubt. Air in the tire does nothing if it's not spinning
Jamakeit Wrote:lock it, without a doubt. Air in the tire does nothing if it's not spinning

2nd this!
Locker is already in the mail fellas, thanks for the input though!
In my opinion if you drive your truck at all on the road, even back and forth to work dont do the front locker unless its a selectable locker! I locked my 77 F150 front and rear and it sucked on the road BAD:bad: ! I will never install another nonselectable locker in the front of any 4x4 that is going to see any kind of on road use! I would go with the beadlocks! :allrighty:
I already have the locker in my posession so it's a little late now!!! The only street time my truck gets is to the trail, I have two other daily drivers.
you really don't need to be in 4x4 on the road, do you?
Just unlock one hub, then you have your one wheel drive again. problem fixed. and NO you don't need to be in 4x on the road. You just have better stop light launches :laugh:
Driving around Peger road these past couple months makes me say yes, I need to drive around in 4wd....Sheet of ice the entire way down to Van Horn, and halfway down Van Horn either direction. I almost ate it twice in one trip in 2wd.
I tried the unlock one hub thing! It will make your rig a death trap! I tried to run mine like that last winter, when you have one hub locked in and you hit the gas it will shoot to that side and when you let off it shoots back to the other way. Its not like an open diff at all! If you drive that much on the road do your self a huge favor and get the selectable locker! :bad: