Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need someone to ID an axle for me
4.88 you would have to change the carrier. If my memory serves me carrect dana's(60) carrieres are 4.56-up numerically And like 4.30- down numerically so any of the sixties I have would require new carriers for the 4.88 gears cheapest way is a full spool.
Well, I'm not ready to step up to a spool.
I'll consider your offer Brad. Thanks for the great, enlightening info.
Can you tell me what condition your d60s are in, Brad? and are they full-float?
Julie got the bolts out of the cover, but can't get the cover off. She's afraid to pry/chisel too hard and ruin something. Is someone available this weekend to stop by and lend a hand? I just need a pic of the condition of the insides of the diff.
Geoff, I talked to Julie just now. April and I will be heading over that way this afternoon. I will see what can be done.
:allrighty: :thanks:
I made it over and got the axle up on jackstands, removed the diff cover, and drained the fluid into a pan.
The gearset is a 3.50 or 3.55 and is in great shape, as is the carrier, differential gears, and pinion. The pinion/ring gear mesh is excellent on both the drive side and the coast side.
Judging the condition of everything, I would say that the parts in there are mostly new, except the carrier/differential.

I wouldnt worry about replacing the carrier bearings, nor the pinion bearing if you do a gear install.
I cannot tell, however, if the pinion requires a crush sleeve or not.

Mrs. Sevenslats will probably ost a pic shortly of the interior of the axle.

P.S. That thing is a monster!
Awesome. That's the info I needed.
The tag on the cover bolts said 3.55. Good math!